Friday, December 5, 2008

Colorado Christmas

One thing I miss about Colorado is the snow. It was different than here. When it snowed in my hometown, it stayed on the ground until late spring - because it was so freakishly cold. I don't miss that kind of cold, but because the snow lasted so long we almost always had a white Christmas. So even though this song is set in California, it's still one of my favorites.


Lookin’ out this window of this Hollywood hotel,
You’d never know that it was Christmas Eve.
The billboards and the neon took the place of silver bells,
And the temperature is 84 degrees.
I can hear the traffic on the crowded strip below,
As the palm trees poke their heads above the scene.
But there’s not a single reindeer and it hardly ever snows
And Santa drives a Roles Royce Limousine.
But all along the Rockies you can feel it in the air.
From Telluride to Boulder down below.
The closest thing to heaven on this planet anywhere,
Is a quiet Christmas morning in the Colorado snow.
I remember Christmases when I was just a boy,
In the morning I would run and see the tree.
And the carolers on the hillside sing their songs of Christmas joy.
Well I always thought they sang them just for me.
Now the sun is setting in the California sky,
And I can’t find the spirit anywhere.
So I think it’s time for me to tell Los Angelas good-bye.
I’m going back home to look for Christmas there.
But all along the Rockies you can feel it in the air,
From Telluride to Boulder down below
The closest thing to heaven on this planet anywhere,
Is a quiet Christmas morning in the Colorado snow.
It’s a quiet Christmas morning in the Colorado snow.

1 comment:

Guenter Family said...

I miss the snow in UT. Hopefully it will snow when we get there for Christmas. It just doesn't get cold enough out here in VA. See you soon.
Makelle