Monday, July 20, 2009

Memory Lane Monday

Pioneer Days!
The town that I'm from celebrates Pioneer Days too. They celebrate it the weekend (Friday and Saturday) closest to the 24th of July (or maybe it's the 3rd weekend in July). There's always a parade and rodeo and hamburger stand and carnival and "back then" there was a barbaque at the church. My grandpa used to help cook the meat for the bbq. They'd have to check and turn the roast every 3 or 4 hours through the day and night. The the wards would donate the salads, rolls, desserts, etc. It was sure yummy! But the last few years have brought on a LOT of changes. But still, one thing is still the same - A lot of people work hard to make the "celebration" a success.

In this picture, Smoky Bear was shaking our hands. It was a big deal for us because we used to go on picnics to Smoky Bear campground. I'm the girl with the pioneer hat on. My brother is the boy with the orange shirt on. My cousin, Trish?, is in the French braids and I don't think the other boy is related to us. Not sure....
Notice the float in the background and the groovy pickup washed up nice and shiny!

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I like your sunbonnet. I remember wearing a sunbonnet during the celebration,too! I had a little Smokey Bear incident when I was about 4 - I'll be sharing it with my Flashback Friday post this Friday! Thanx for sharing the cute picture and I love your green pants!

Ammy said...

I miss Smokey Bear and Woodsey Owl. They used to walk up and down with the parade and it was a highlight to shake their hands...I can't wait for Nancy's flashback...I think I know what happened...She had some funny experiences...

Lori said...

Is that other little boy Jesse? Kind of looks like him. That is Trisha no doubt about it. Aunt Kate may know if that is Jesse. I love it. I am starting to hate this time of year my hubby is not big on the idea it was a big deal to us but o well.

Sandi said...

It could be Jesse, but I thought this boy looked older than what Jesse would have been. I don't know....

Anonymous said...

Yepper I do believe that is Jesse.

Wow so many things have changed but I still live for the excitement of the celebration. I miss that our loved ones alive and passed on are not always here to share in the excitement. Thanks for the post I love it.