Sunday, October 26, 2008

Remembering Grandpa Bud



It was just a year ago yesterday that my grandpa passed away. For all my childhood, he was the only "dad" I had. He was the closest priesthood holder to me. He was the one who baptised me and gave me countless blessings over the years. I can still remember what his hands felt like on my head. He was quite a tease and always had a funny joke. He was THE best story teller ever. He could entertain us for hours with his stories, all of them true. He was a tender man who had a strong testimony. With his sweetheart of 61 years, they served 3 missions, South Dakota, Louisiana, and Denver Temple. He was quite crafty. He did bead work and "puttered" with things in his sheds. He could make or fix just about anything. His name was really Lewis Eldon Martin, but went by Bud Martin his whole life. Some people didn't even know his real name. That is why we call our oldest child "Bud" or "Buddy" and our youngest we call "Lew Lew". Grandpa used to call us "Noodle" or "Noodle head" and so that's why we call our middle child "Noodle." This has been a difficult week and I'm once again thankful for the plan of salvation. I know we will be reunited with our loved one and this is a very peaceful feeling.

4 comments:

Ammy said...

Hey Sandi~
I love that pic of Grandpa. Did you know that it was actually a year ago yesterday (the 25th) that Grandpa died? Just thought I'd let ya know!
Ammy

Nancy said...

He was the best Grandpa! I feel pretty special, too because he baptized me (or tried to drowned me as he would say)! I miss him a lot. Once in awhile Luke will say, "Grandpa Bud, see him." Now I'm not sure if he wants to see him or if he does see him but I like that he remembers Grandpa. There was no one like him. I think we are all better people because we got to have a Grandpa Bud.

Nancy said...

I forgot to say I love the picture. I loved grandpas mannerisms. I miss going to the post office and seeing him and having him rub my head and mess up my hair.

j e s s i e said...

Of course all the stories are true! =)
It is neat to remember those who are not with us anymore. Very nice.