Monday, May 9, 2011

Family Traits

Aren't families interesting? From the surface many look picture perfect. But move a little deeper and all families I have gotten to know have things that aren't quite so perfect and things that could easily be eliminated if possible. My family is no different.



For the most part I get along with and am cordial to all of them. I don't have any major hangup with any of them. I can converse with them. I wouldn't trade any of them for someone else. With the exception of 2 and oddly enough they are both men. Both men who are over the age of 60. Both of whom's actions make me shudder. (Is whom's a word??) Both of whom I've actually broken bread with (shudder!) But they are a story for another day!



However on the other hand, I have some really exceptional family members. I really do. I recently attended a viewing for my Grandma's late husband. It was really great to see so many members of the family that I rarely get to see. But I got to see and actually talk with for quite a while was my *Aunt "G"

Ignoring the spider in near her head, it's she such a cutie!

She is my father's youngest sister and I dearly love her (not that I don't dearly love my other aunt's I do. I really do! Really) As the day wore on, my mind went back to not only the conversations I had with her that day, but to other conversations I've had with her. My earliest was when I was 16. (Do you remember that? I came out for a visit and there was a family picnic and you and I went to a nearby gas station to get a drink. That was back when you had your sweet dog Arther.) She is so easy to talk to and she is such a joy. Of all of the handful of things I inherited from my father and/or his side of the family, why couldn't I have inherited body figure and/or metabolism. (Why oh why can't I naturally be thin..er?) My grandma and all of her kids are slender and so is my brother. Why didn't I inherit that? It's disgusting, if you ask me. But you didn't ask, I just said it!

Here she is again. This really is her. She really is this cute.



*Not real name. The names have been changed because I wanted to!

No comments: