Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Navajo Taco's - Cheater Style

We love Navajo Taco's - but I don't like the preparation of making the yummy bread (I just love to eat it. So if someone wants to go to all the work and make the bread, I'll enjoy every bite and know that someone slaved doing it!) So I've come up with an alternitive solution. Doesn't taste quite the same, but it's works in a pinch. Here's what I do:

Brown some hamburger, drain. 

Add some chili beans and picante sauce.


I usually add a whole can of chili beans and enough Picante Sauce to give it the consistancy that I want. Stir it all together and cook on low-med heat for about 15 minutes.


In the meantime, heat some oil in a pan. Not a lot of oil - about 3/4 inch. Heat it until a small piece of tortilla sizzles.


Carefully place a flour tortilla in heated oil.



When the first side is done to your choosing, flip it. Sometimes they puff...



And sometimes they don't.



I drain mine on a paper bag. But you can use anything you want, like paper towels.



Add the meat mixture, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream - whatever your little heart desires!

These fried tortillas are really yummy with just honey butter on top too!

1 comment:

katalc said...

We cheat another way. If you look for sales and stock up on the rolls in the "pop" cans no need to make your own dough and they puff!!!