Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Thoughts on Homeschooling

It seems I've been hearing and reading a lot on homeschooling lately. I have a friend who home schools her 3 kids for a variety of reasons. One of those reasons is that her husband's slow time at work in winter. They felt they couldn't go on a vacation during school and it was hard for him to go during the summer. Plus she is super smart and organized. When she started, she ordered all kinds of books and materials to help her pull this off. She even had a wall in her dining room turned into a black board. Her oldest would be in the 4th grade if she were in public school. I'm sure she's smart enough to be in at least 5th grade now. They live in a city with neighbors very close and her kids are in sports so they get lots of interaction. But I know another lady (years ago) who lived way out of town on a farm. She had 8 kids or something and the only time they saw other people was on Sunday at church. For "fun" the kids would tend to the livestock. And some of her kids turned out just weird. Socially challenged.

Here's what I think: I would absolutely LOVE to home school my kids for the following reasons:
*I could give them one on one time with the subjects that are challenging them
*I could incorporate other "things" that public school doesn't have - like prayer, for example
*I could be in charge of our own field trips
*I could be in charge of exactly what they are learning.
*My son's allergies and learning techniques (or lack thereof)


Here's why I could never do it:
*I am not smart enough
*My organizational skills are in the pooper
*I struggle sometimes even parenting my kids - I'm not sure I could teacher them as well
*My son's learning techniques (or lack thereof)
*My son NEEDS the social aspect that school offers.
*I'm not sure I have enough discipline. I sometimes struggle enforcing punishment - much less assignments
*I am not smart enough
*Space
*Besides it's kinda too late now with my son being in 5th grade this year. In order to prepare for college and learning in a class room setting I think kids should go to at least public high school. Plus there is no way no how I could teach anyone something like chemistry.

What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I just pulled my 4th grader out this year and did online school. It sucked and took five hours out of the day away from my other children. I now found a program that works for me. I had all those concerns when I started. It was a scary leap of faith but it has felt right for our family. I just know that it isn't always right for everyone. I also say about the interaction is that if the parents are backwards the kids will be and if they aren't then the kids won't! I love it because I found the right program for me. Thomas Jefferson Education. Sorry could talk for hours on this subject. I think whatever you do your kids will be fine. They have loving parents and extended family around them and they sound super smart!! :)